Sunday, November 18, 2007

Random moments from the elementary teacher's session!

So the elementary teacher's workshop is in full swing! Even though it has only been 2 weeks of teaching this wacky group of 24 Korean teachers, I have had a blast! I decided that I would let you all in on some of my crazy but embarrassing moments that I have experienced while teaching in Korea!!

The Elementary Korean Teachers Welcome Party!


So the first night of the elementary teachers workshop, the International Department held a welcome party! This night was full of dried squid, beer, mandarins, and good times! The 24 Korean teacher were divided into 4 homerooms with 2 NET (Native English Teachers) per a homeroom. My partner is Bill and let me tell you, he is absolutely hilarious and we get along swell! If you are starting to get any ideas, please don't! He is married and has a 4 year old son!

In my homeroom, we decided to call ourselves the 'Shreks' because our color is green. Each homeroom has a color and we compete in a variety of activities for points. Koreans love competition!

My homeroom is full of some wicked teachers! In the photo below from left to right, we have Lucy, Rina (who is 5 months pregnant with twins, man she looks good), So Young, Sarah, Bo Bae, Georgie, Bill and me. In this photo we are presenting our cheer that we made for the cheer competition. It was a lot of fun! On our poster, the teachers wrote 'Shrek' and made the acronym:

S- Super sexy
H- Happy
R - Ready
E - Excellent
K - Korean Teachers



Here is another shot showing the beautiful poster they created! haha We look funny making little Shrek ears with our hands. Notice the big bottle of beer is in close proximity. Koreans love to drink!!




Left to Right, is So Young, Georgie (who is looking for a Canadian wife haha), Bill and I giving a little speech about our poster!




Here is Lyndsey's class which is also full of a variety of personalities! The woman in the red leather coat, Sunflower, drives us nuts! She is so animated and over the top. Oh gosh, sometimes I just want to strangle her, a little bit haha So their homeroom created is called 'Burning Love'! Yeah, I bug Lyndsey about how cheesy her students are on a daily basis! haha



Here is a close up of the 'Burning Love' poster. I told that class maybe they should see a doctor if the burning sensation does not disappear haha The girl in the pink hoodie, I forget her name!, is a bit annoying. One day she told me I didn't look nice. Grrr! I'll talk about how blunt Koreans are in a moment! Mi Jeong, the girl on the right side of the photo, is a sweetheart and loves learning English! You go girl!




Here is classroom one, the English Sunflowers, who are a quiet group of Korean teachers. They are honestly my least favorite class because they don't talk much at all. There is one man, YYOK, who is in his 50's and he is the biggest drunk I have ever seen. There will be more information about him and his crazy antics later!




Here is classroom two, the English bluejays or something like that. I don't remember haha but this group is pretty nice and I enjoy teaching them! Here they are performing a traditional Korean dance with Victoria!




Everyone is mingling and enjoying some good food and spirits! Nice!




Random Moments during the Teacher's session (in point form):

- Georgie, the Korean guy in my homeroom, always eats across the table or beside me at lunch and dinner. So one time when we were eating lunch, he went to say something and he accidentally spit a piece of rice on to my hand. I did notice this and was about to wipe it off when he suddenly grabbed my hand and picked off the piece of rice. 'Whoops' he said and smiled hahaha

- Koreans being blunt and honest to you all the time about your appearance. There have been mornings when I have woken up tired and every class I have taught has pointed out how tired I look!

- Old Korean men on the bus to town have random one sided conversations with me. One man kept talking to me even though I kept saying 'I don't know' in Korean. He then showed me a lemon he bought and kissed it in front of me! weird!

- YYOK falling asleep in my Drama class right in front of me! One time he drank 3 bottles of Soju (Korean alcohol) and then came to my class the next day super hung over! grrr

- My Korean female teachers couldn't believe my eyelashes are real! They were so amazed! When Lyndsey and I were buying make up downtown at 'Banali's' a super femanized man was helping us. He was so random and wonderful with his comments! He pointed to my eyes and said 'your eyes are like Beyonce! hahaha They he called Lyndsey Britney Spears because of her blonde hair and they danced while singing 'Give me, Give me more!!'

No comments: