Saturday, November 17, 2007

Ladies Day! Oh what a day!

So the ladies (Lyndsey and Victoria) and I decided that after a long first week of teaching we should reward ourselves! So on Friday at 1:50pm we made our way downtown to Gwangju for some relaxing, shopping and good times! We went straight down to the downtown core where we definitely had some fun and caused some trouble! So here is how our adventure planned out on the evening of November 16, 2007:


Considering how tired everyone was, we decided to swing by Paris Baguette (a chain coffee shop and bakery) for some coffee and people watching. We sat up on the second floor and enjoyed some delicious mocha's and lattes! Sorry for the horrible photography, but I am working on it! The weather is still pretty nice here as you can tell from the sweaters and mini skirts in the photo! But at night, man does it get cold! If you look in the background, they just opened up a Krispy Kreme doughnuts, and it is insane walking by there!




In Korea, showing affection to your friends is very common! Common gestures include holding hands, linking arms, and placing your arms on each others shoulders while walking down the street. Couples, friends, and family will all walk down the streets showing their affection for the special in their lives. Lyndsey and Victoria demonstrate just how beautiful it is! hehe When I get a boyfriend, I'll be join the crowd of hand clinging couples in Gwangju!




Cellphone shops! Oh where to start when describing the craziness of how cell phones are marketed in Korea. Or should I say 'hand phones' because that is what Koreans call cell phones. No matter where you go in Gwangju, hand phone shops are everywhere just as Starbuck is on ever corner in Canada. Whether it is a scantily clad woman speaking into a microphone about the great deals to cute men luring you into the shops with a smile; the cell phone business in Korea is serious! However, here is one cellphone marketing scheme we all enjoyed: the giant dancing man! Now, I would gladly buy a phone from him!





For some reason this weekend, they have ripped up some parts of the downtown core and are reconstructing the roads. If you were honestly drunk, this would suck because the roads are very uneven due to construction. However, I was sober so I should not be complaining! I just had to take a picture of it! I could not believe the ladies wearing stilettos who didn't even seem to notice the sudden change in the road!




After eating a delicious dinner of sushi at a Japanese restaurant, we proceeded to find the store 'Missha Girl'. Missha Girl was a clothing store that Lyndsey and I found the weekend before but we didn't have enough time to look around. I wanted to return to buy a V-neck sweater for work. Anyways, Lyndsey and I couldn't remember where the store was because literally downtown resembles a maze of streets! So after asking a few school girls and having really no success, we walked for quite a while in the cold of night. While trying to find Missha girl, we ended up passing a store named 'Brown Girl'. I had to chuckle because well that is a bold name for store!


Finally, after walking around, we found Missha Girl and decided to go on a clothes shopping frenzy! The girls and I noticed after going to numerous shops that no matter what store you go to, the clothes are usually 80% the same! The only thing that changes is the price and the label inside of the clothes! Victoria explained how Koreans felt that everyone needs to look relatively the same. No one should stick out and not conform to the majority. This theory reminded me of Japan as well. The clothes in Korea are an odd mix of 80s meets oddness! haha I can't really describe it. The fashion reminds me more of China when I was there, rather than Japan. I like Japanese fashion way better! Anyways, we decided to find the ugliest things in the store and model them for each other! Don't you just love the sweater combo on Victoria and Lyndsey! I like how there is a mini sitting area with vending machines in case you get thirty while shopping!




Victoria and myself are making a universal symbol of love, Korean style with our arms! Gotta love the ugly clothes in the background! eeeeeee Don't you love the bling on our outfits! I will admit that I absolutely hate the fake diamonds, ruffles, bows, and flowers on clothes!!!!



After a long afternoon of shopping and giggling, Lyndsey and I decided to take the bus back to JETI. Victoria decided to stay over night while Lyndsey and I waited for the bus. Here a video that describes Gwangju Bus Terminal where I catch the bus to get back to JETI. I love this place because there is a giant mall attached to it! So I can enjoy some Starbucks while shopping for a Luis Vuitton bag after grabbing some groceries at E Mart (Korean Walmart)!!!



Wait for the video to load!


No comments: