Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Seoul - everything you need and so much more!

Seoul...hmm...what can I say...how about fun!!!! This city is a mega conglomerate of everything that you need. After waking up at 6:30am to catch the 7:00am bus to Gwangju, Lyndsey and I then hopped on to the express bus to Seoul for a nice 3 and half hour ride. Seoul has many different districts and areas to satisfy any one's taste. After trying to find our hostel up in Insadong and eventually failing, we came across a new guest house and decided to stay there. Insadong is a great place for antiques and artsy crafty type stuff. There were some interesting galleries and I got some free hot chocolate on the streets. Here is a shot of the street taken from Starbucks of Myeong-dong which is a giant shopping area filled with every store you can imagine from 'Gap' to 'Roots' to 'Uniqlo'. Everything you need can be bought here at regular store prices, haha, nothing special in terms of a saving money. There are restaurants like 'Tony Roma's' where Lyndsey and I ate ribs. yum yum!



So my coworkers and I met up for some lunch at Bennigans - a western type restaurant. I was excited because it was not Korean food haha but yeah the service was bad. Koreans have a habit of splitting meals. No joke! Once when I was at Mcdonalds I saw a family split a cheeseburger combo. It was the oddest thing. But at restaurants you'll see a giant group of people order only a few entrees and everyone will split them. No one ever gets there own meal. So at Bennigans there was confusion because everyone wanted there own meal. Even with drinks, my set lunch menu came with a drink. When they brought it out there was three straws in it to share with my coworkers. Good Lord! We all had a great laugh at this!



Korea is full of interesting named stores and restaurants. I enjoy how they have Konglish which is an English/Korean hybrid of various words. It cracks me up. But it's bad too. Koreans have a habit of making an 'e' sound at the end of English words. For example 'lunchie' or 'finishedie' it drives me nuts. If they keep speaking English wrong, things will never change!



Here is a shot of Seoul down by Insadong. I like how there are paths to walk by the water. It's super cool. Apparently there are bands and vendors in the summer along the river too. That would be neat to watch. Seoul is interesting in that it is dirtier than most big Japanese cities but cleaner than most big Chinese cities. haha I saw some men peeing on the street late at night and I realized that doesn't help the smell of Seoul. Once in a while, I would catch a weird drift of stink while wandering in Seoul.



In Seoul there is a foreigners district that has some restaurants and foreigner needs. I went to a wicked East Indian curry buffet and had some great Thai food lunch. I like that in Seoul there is a diversity of people just like Canada. It's nice that way. It can be frustrating where I live because some kids still point, stare, and say 'foreigner' in Korean. It's annoying because the parents don't really do anything. Occasionally some parents will notice what there kids is doing and discipline them. I like the friendly kids that will try and speak English with me. They are pretty sweet.



This is a famous shot taken down in Dongdaemun. This area is full of shopping goodness that is includes knock off items sold from street vendors. Here I bought some bootleg DVDs for next to nothing. This shopping area is especially busy during the evening and all throughout the evening till the next morning. You can get some delicious street food (possible get sick due to unrefrigerated meat) while buying a knock off handbag. It is sweet!



In Seoul there is a lot of delicious food that is hard to get where I live such as Indian, Thai, Vietnamese and so on. However, there are a few really gross things that I have seen in Seoul as well. Take this place for instances. You can get various pasta from fettuccine to shrimp pasta all in a waffle cone. That is disgusting ice cream/hot food.



Here is Van and Mary eating their hearts away at the Pizza Mall. It was so frustrating going to this 3 story restaurant. You order at the cash register and then they give you a number. So you must listen to loud speaker to hear your number. It was so busy in there and I had the number 27, 555 compared to Mary who had 355. There's a smart idea, 'let's give the foreigner a really really hard number'





Street food. What can I say. It's everywhere. These tiny kitchens on wheels are the health departments worst nightmare. Nothing is refrigerated from seafood to pork on a stick. Plus the workers of the shops are handling money and your food all at the same time. Well if your into cleansing your bowels then I totally recommend eating street food. I have eaten my fair share of it in China and have sometimes paid the consequences. haha



This is downtown Seoul by a famous set of statues. Nice eh? There is everything you need down here! I can't even begin to describe the endless amount of fun you can have getting lost in the maze of streets. Streets aren't really named here just main roads. So if you ask some one where something is, there is a good chance they'll have no clue. Everyone goes by landmarks here. It's crazy!



Crazy cartoon hats for winter are the trend with everyone. I am going to buy one I think because it's very Korean. Gotta love the Hello Kitty on my head!



Gotta a sweet tooth? Try buying bulk at the night market. Everything you need in a market can be bargained for. You can find numerous stands selling pretty much the same items! I am not a big fan of candy but Lyndsey could definitely tell you all about it! I prefer hitting up the bakeries which can be found everywhere. Cake!!!



This is a great! I love how designer knock offs are sold right next to some frozen fish. I think it would be horrible to have your scarf smell like fish haha But hey, if its cheap, then I'll take two!




These crazy little carts are pulled by men everywhere in the market. Transporting goods on carts and motorcycles is really scary to be honest. There have been a few times where I have almost been hit because they literally drive through the crowds. The driving here is insane. The worst I have seen next to China. No joke of a lie! Pedestrians have no rights what so ever. You have to wait till the traffic clears to cross. It's scary at times!






Christmas is getting popular here in Korea, I like how some stores are so tacky and loud! This
store in the market screams Christmas. Sometimes I think it's a bit to commercial for myself.





The overhead shot of the market live and in action! This place is full of winding streets that are lined with vendors selling everything. However, I did have a difficult time finding sunglasses. I imagine they are not in season. That makes me a bit annoyed because I have gone to some restaurants, for example, a Vietnamese restaurant wanting to eat 'Bun' (Cold noodles with veggies). However, they said I can't get it because it's winter. That drives me nuts. So if you have a craving, it must be seasonal!!!!!!






The sign says it all. The fashion is something not to be desired by the Western palate. Lyndsey and I laugh at the tacky fashion haha But I really enjoy Japanese Fashion and I am hoping to go back there soon to stock up on some clothes!



No comments: